- What does the phrase in a buzzing whirl mean?
- What does be on edge mean?
- What does something to take the edge off mean?
- What does FTW mean?
- What does the phrase a few mean?
- How do you use few and far in a sentence?
- What do you mean by in between?
- What does a little on edge mean?
- What does it feel like to be on edge?
- Is 3 a couple or a few?
- Which is more couple or few?
- What is far between?
- What does the phrase few and far between mean?
What does the phrase in a buzzing whirl mean?
in a buzzing whirl.
It seemed like a dream to be suddenly translated from the Lower School to the Upper.
She wished she could have had a little time to get accustomed to the idea: she would have liked a day’s preparation at least, so as to think the change over and discuss it at home..
What does be on edge mean?
1. In a precarious position; also, in a state of keen excitement, as from danger or risk. For example, When the stock market crashed, their whole future was on the edge, or Skydivers obviously must enjoy living on the edge. 2. on the edge of.
What does something to take the edge off mean?
take the edge off. SEE SYNONYMS FOR take the edge off ON THESAURUS.COM. Ease or assuage, make less severe, as in That snack took the edge off our hunger, or Her kind manner took the edge off her refusal. This term alludes to blunting the edge of a cutting instrument.
What does FTW mean?
for the winAdverb. FTW (not comparable) (Internet slang) Initialism of for the win.
What does the phrase a few mean?
A few means a small number. (“ I have fewer than you”/”they are few and far between”) Several, according to its dictionary definition means “more than two but not many”, so a few but not a couple. And some, according to the dictionary means “an unspecified amount or number”.
How do you use few and far in a sentence?
(1) Jobs are few and far between at the moment. (2) In this economic climate new ideas were few and far between. (3) The sunny intervals we were promised have been few and far between. (4) People who work as hard as you are few and far between!
What do you mean by in between?
adjective. being between one thing, condition, etc., and another: a coat for in-between weather.
What does a little on edge mean?
be on edge. to be nervous or worried: Sorry for shouting – I’m a bit on edge today. (Definition of be on edge from the Cambridge Learner’s Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)
What does it feel like to be on edge?
Feeling on edge is also called hypervigilance, a symptom experienced by some Veterans who have returned from war or experienced traumatic events during their time in the military. … Some people have trouble concentrating, feel irritable, become easily upset, or react strongly to sounds and sights around them.
Is 3 a couple or a few?
A couple is usually two (a married couple), or sometimes ‘about two’ if you are being vague (a couple of dozen, a couple of inches). A few is more than a couple, but not as many as several. I think Few: 2-3, Couple 4-6, Several 7+.
Which is more couple or few?
Couple is used when referring to two things, as in “a couple of days ago,” whereas few and several are less specific. Few means “not many but some,” as in “The train leaves in a few minutes,” and several denotes more than the words couple and few do but implies lesser than the word many does.
What is far between?
Definition of far between. : separated by considerable intervals good workhorses are few and far between these days.
What does the phrase few and far between mean?
phrase. Things that are few and far between are very rare or do not happen very often. [emphasis] Visitors to the town were few and far between. Synonyms: scarce, rare, unusual, scattered More Synonyms of few and far between.